Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Avatar, Sigourney, Gorillas -- AWESOME!








At lunch last week my friend Heather shared a hot news tip: One of my all-time favorite actresses, Sigourney Weaver, would be in town over the weekend for a Dian Fossey Gorilla Fund International press conference.

HELLO! I was so there!

Weaver is the honorary chair of the Gorilla Fund, and she returned to Atlanta to preview the organization's October 24 fundraiser and rare big screen showing of "Gorillas In The Mist" in Atlanta.

This would be my second introduction to Ms. Weaver via the Gorilla Fund, but the first for which I could prepare questions, bring a Flip Camera and consider blog posting follow-up options.

I knew from a 2007 Gorilla Fund event that Ms. Weaver knows her stuff on gorilla conservation.

A Yale grad like my best friend, the former "Ripley" of Aliens and "Dana" of Ghostbusters and "Katharine Parker" of Working Girl (not to mention her crush-inducing co-star role in The Year of Living Dangerously and scary avenger role in Death & The Maiden or creepy suburban '70s wife role in The Ice Storm and cheery First Lady role in Dave) star is poised and thoughtful in her conversations with nonprofit leaders, media and fans alike. I'm so glad not be be inflicted with the condition of her character in Copycat.

The press event, and Ms. Weaver, did not disappoint -- she took several minutes to answer my questions about the upcoming James Cameron epic film Avatar.

My first Weaver Q&A query was a two parter: "How are you going to leverage the worldwide publicity opportunity of Avatar to share the message and mission of the Dian Fossey Gorilla Fund International, and what specific entertainment peers have you engaged one on one regarding the Gorilla Fund (and their responses)?"

The video with this post (also available at www.YouTube.com/nickwolaver) provides Sigourney's Avatar answers, background on her work with the Gorilla Fund since "Gorillas In The Mist" as well as her answer to my follow up question (insert Chris Farley/SNL humble tone voice) "What is your favorite Olympic-related memory and why?"

For the Olympic ask, I was relieved that Ms. Weaver did not tell me to "Get off my MOUNTAIN!" (Mount Olympus, that is). When we got of the elevator at the Woodruff Arts Center, as the doors opened and a breeze and fellow-fan (an excited woman) entered, it took all of my tongue-biting strength to keep from uttering my favorite Aliens line, "Get away from her, you bitch!"

BONUS: Ambassador Andrew Young, former mayor of Atlanta and civil rights legend, joined Sigourney Weaver on the dais at the event. I was not able to speak with him, but will post more about Young's Olympic, and Gorilla Fund, endeavors in the future.

For now, sit back, relax and enjoy the Avatar interview with Sigourney Weaver, talking about how the film portrays human impact on a planetary scale, and the extent to which James Cameron's themes in Avatar complement the mission of the Dian Fossey Gorilla Fund International organization.

No comments:

Blog Archive

Powered By Blogger
Web Analytics