Tuesday, February 18, 2014

A Non-Olympian "Thanks, Mom"

With a heavy heart I'm posting from Sochi with news my wonderful mother Betty entered hospice care in Oklahoma on Monday night. The news is surprising given her condition just two weeks ago was good. Writing in a fog.
 
Too many non-Games memories to share, but I will always love that Mom bought me the influential-to-seven-year-olds Lake Placid 1980 Olympic color book when I was in first grade, and she took my sister and I to the Los Angeles 1984 Olympic Torch Relay in Edmond, Okla., the fifth-grade summer event that launched my Olympic journeys.
 
In 1989 we volunteered together at U.S. Olympic Festival '89, and the following summer she drove me to the 6 a.m. flight to Minneapolis for my first paid Olympic gig at U.S. Olympic Festival '90 (setting the course for my college days in the Land of 10,000 Lakes). Neither of us knew that flight would be the first of hundreds for this traveler (hard to know who had more nervous excitement).
 
It was Mom who first told me the 1990 news Atlanta won the 1996 Olympics, setting another course for nine Olympiads of fun. On Mother's Day 1996 she held the "runner flag" to start my leg of the Atlanta Olympic Torch Relay. 
 
Before and since her diagnosis of Alzheimer's in 2008, she always supported my five-ringed dreams and every dream. In her determined fight to slow down her condition, we shared dozens of walks and talks -- the above photo from one hike at Lake Arcadia near Edmond -- and it was so fun to show her around D.C., Atlanta and Savannah in recent years. As she did through years of working hard as a self-employed parent (her seamstress business boomed during the 1980s and 1990s in support of my sister's and my dreams), she continued to smile and laugh through each step of her declining condition.
 
I love you, Mom. Thank you, Mom. I will be home to Oklahoma on Friday, the soonest airlines could arrange passage from Sochi. Prayers appreciated for Mom, my dad and sister at her side, and for many family members, friends and caregivers helping mom. Fingers crossed the journey home will get me there safely and in a timely manner.
 
The blog will resume in due time. Thank you for reading and for support.
 
Photos by Nicholas Wolaver

5 comments:

Jim Taylor said...

Oh Nick... Please know that Shre and I... Our whole family prays for you and yours.

Carol M said...

Prayers going out for your family, and your safe return. Beautiful post. Find comfort in all your wonderful memories.

Jeanine Jones said...

Nick, Thinking and praying for you and your family. I enjoyed reading how your mom fostered your love for the Olympics. Please let us know if we can do anything for you. Safe and timely travels.

Mariesa said...

Sending peace, comfort, and prayers for your safe travels, Nick.

olirush said...

How you mam, Nick? And how do you do? Good Luck from russia)

Blog Archive

Powered By Blogger
Web Analytics