Friday, August 5, 2016

Olympic Torch Lights Up Crowds at Ipanema

The last couple of days included my migration from Hotel Vermont to my AirBNB apartment around the corner from the Ipanema Metro station. 
I sort of hit my first "Olympic wall" of this Games on Wednesday afternoon, and trekking several blocks with 40 pounds of pins and all my luggage was no cake walk. 

But the apartment is beautiful, overlooking a favela neighborhood and sheer cliff surrounded by mountain forest. And I'm now just three blocks to USA House and steps away from grocery, transport, bars, restaurants and anything else needed.

While settling in last night the Olympic Torch Relay dashed through the neighborhood right outside, and it was awesome to see my eighth encounter with an Olympic flame.

Previously LA84 in Edmond, Okla., carrying the torch in 1996 in Oklahoma City, and glimpses of the relay for Salt Lake 2002, Athens 2004, Beijing 2008, Vancouver 2010 and Sochi 2014. 

The neighborhood was buzzing with fans and a crowd about three people deep on each sidewalk. Here's a video with the warm-up group getting folks pumped up.




I love the faces of the senior couple lighting up in anticipation of the relay. The students and local bar and shop owners also were out in force. A great time was had by all. 

Photos by Nicholas Wolaver


1 comment:

Kano Limani said...

Rio2016 Olympics Mascots and Olympic Mascots History 1972-2016

The Evolution of the Olympic Mascot | Faster Higher Stronger
Watch it here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4k8P-cHrRU

Blog Archive

Powered By Blogger
Web Analytics